Sunday, December 2, 2012

Onions in Gran's Wooden Bowl

For me, this "onions" painting was a turning point.  I think it works well as a still life, and it is probably the best use of light in any of my paintings to that date.   I think I began to understand the portrayal of light and color a little better here.  I was particularly pleased with the onion in the foreground -- the way so many colors work together in the shaded part of the onion to create a vibrant, onion-y feel.  The bowl has sentimental meaning for me because it was my grandmother's.  All in all, this remains one of my favorite daily paintings.   (No. 25, 6x6", on Gessobord, Sept. 18, 2012).

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy your brush strokes and the way you have blended colors and hues to form a subtle motion in the colors which has given them vibrancy – great work.

    ReplyDelete