Earlier this year, I bought the tile, glue, and some mesh backing to which the tiles will be glued. I made a large version of the drawing (using the grid method, as you can see from the image above), covered it with waxed paper to prevent the glue from coming through the mesh and sticking to the paper, and then taped the mesh backing over the waxed paper. You can easily see the drawing through the waxed paper and the mesh, and use it as a guide for applying tiles. The project has been sitting in that state for many months. Here is the layout:
This weekend I finally started gluing down tiles. I did a small test piece yesterday to see how well the tile adheres to the mesh, and it was pretty impressive. It does not fall off even when the mesh is turned upside down and doubled over. At the same time, if I need to replace a tile for some reason, it's not hard to pry it off. Gluing the tile down is a slow process, which I guess I should have known. In today's session, I completed the lowest forward sail in the picture above. Here is a close-up:
Working with square tiles is a bit of a challenge, particularly in an image with a lot of curves. You have to cut odd-shaped pieces to fill in gaps. I did not have the right kind of tile cutters for shaping odd-shaped pieces, but I plan to borrow some from my husband before I try again. I'll post updates when (if?) I get further along with this.



No comments:
Post a Comment