“What we call little things are merely the causes of great things; they are the beginning, the embryo, and it is the point of departure which, generally speaking, decides the whole future of an existence.” (Henri Frederic Amiel)
Sunday, December 9, 2012
New Orleans Wedding March
This was a bit of a departure! When we were in New Orleans in April 2012, we were treated to the sight of two wedding marches through the streets of the French Quarter. I took some video, and this is based on a frame of one of the videos. What I love here is the sense of motion and exuberance. A note: the biggest challenge in this painting was the bride's face. I wanted to capture an expression of joy without a lot of detail. I must have painted it twenty times, sometimes despairing as errant brushstrokes turned it into a ghoul's face. I was thrilled with how her face finally turned out. This painting is larger than any other daily painting I've done: it is 11x14". I undertook it thinking I could finish it quickly, but it took six and a half hours, which I don't generally have time for, so I haven't done any more daily paintings this large. There are more paintings I want to do in this size, but I haven't had a chance to start; just doing a daily painting takes all the free time I have, at least on weekdays. (No. 29, 11x14", on stretched canvas, Sept. 22, 2012)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment