“What we call little things are merely the causes of great things; they are the beginning, the embryo, and it is the point of departure which, generally speaking, decides the whole future of an existence.” (Henri Frederic Amiel)
Friday, December 7, 2012
First Fruits
This was my first fruit still life, and I am still happy with it! I especially like how the potatoes and the shallots in the blue bowl turned out. This painting alone shows the positive results of daily painting: I could not have done this on my first day, as a glance at my first painting will confirm. That said, the one thing I do not like about this painting is the way that the blue underpainting has given everything a cool bluish cast. This was probably due to starting the painting before the blue was completely dry. (I know that having blue highlights peeking through from the underpainting is also a contributing factor, but I am thinking in particular of the yellow tones of the bananas, which are cool rather than warm.) This one would have been better with an orange underpainting to lend it warm highlights. (No. 27, 6x6", on Gessobord, Sept. 20, 2012)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment