“What we call little things are merely the causes of great things; they are the beginning, the embryo, and it is the point of departure which, generally speaking, decides the whole future of an existence.” (Henri Frederic Amiel)
Saturday, December 8, 2012
East Beach Sunset
This was from a photo taken over some sand flats at East Beach on the eastern end of Galveston Island. What interested me about this view was the tiny speck of sun on the horizon and the immense black-appearing clouds. The effect of sunlight on clouds is endlessly varied and fascinating. I have since returned to this painting and painted over the land "stripes" with a darker color that blends better. The stripes were meant to represent ridges or furrows in the ground, but they are too pronounced. In the revised version, with a less busy foreground, the sun speck is more of a focal point; here, it just sort of disappears (you probably didn't even notice it!). I will edit to add the revised version when I have a photo of it. (No. 28, 6x6", on Gessobord, Sept. 21, 2012)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment