“What we call little things are merely the causes of great things; they are the beginning, the embryo, and it is the point of departure which, generally speaking, decides the whole future of an existence.” (Henri Frederic Amiel)
Wednesday, December 12, 2012
Very Green Glade
I don't like this painting. It's one of a few that I would paint over gladly. There are actually a few things I like about it --- the bank, and the way the water looks ripply and reflective -- but the overall effect is too uniform in its green-ness, and I left too much of the blue underpainting peeking through. With this effort, I discovered that green landscapes are very difficult. I don't know if other people think so, but I think a predominantly green landscape is the most difficult kind there is. I have not attempted another one, because I haven't figured out what makes them so difficult and how to fix the problem. The best I can say is that, in my opinion, there are only a few daily paintings between this one and number 97 (which I just finished today) that fall so far short of aspirations. (No. 30, 8x8", on Raymar panel, Sept. 23, 2012)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment