“What we call little things are merely the causes of great things; they are the beginning, the embryo, and it is the point of departure which, generally speaking, decides the whole future of an existence.” (Henri Frederic Amiel)
Sunday, November 11, 2012
Zingerman's Deli
This was my absolute favorite daily painting to this point in the sequence! The scene is outside the fabulous Zingerman's Deli in Ann Arbor, Michigan. What I loved about this painting was the bright contrast, the sense of light, and the fact that so much was conveyed with minimal detail. I do have a tendency to get bogged down in detail, and this shows it is unnecessary. One of the hardest challenges for me in painting is to work in broad strokes and not get fussy over detail. A few of my recent efforts have been highly detailed and painstakingly rendered architectural scenes; I probably should have contemplated this painting before doing them. (No. 17, 8x8", on Raymar panel, Sept. 9, 2012)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I love the life in this painting in both color and context.
ReplyDeleteThere is a "snapshot in time" quality of your composition that is very lovely.
Please post more!