Friday, November 2, 2012

A Handful of Ocean

This little girl happened very quickly.  Everything fell into place.  It was my first daily painting that had the coveted combination of loose, unfussy brushstrokes, a good composition/drawing, and bright, true, contrasting colors.  I still have not been able to duplicate this magic combination with other paintings of people.  A note: this was my first experience using a surface other than stretched canvas or Raymar panels.  It is Gessobord, which I tried because I saw that Carol Marine and some other daily painters use it.  It is a lovely surface.  It is so smooth so that a swath of paint glides over the surface like frosting on cake, but it has enough tooth that the paint adheres and the brush doesn't slip.  Maybe it was the unaccustomed feeling of the Gessobord that caused this painting to flow so freely from the brush. (No. 12, 6x6", on Gessobord, Sept. 4, 2012)

2 comments:

  1. I love this painting...it has soul and a wonderful depth in its simplicity

    Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this painting, too, Ruth. It captures the essence of a little girl, completely absorbed at the beach...simple, colorful, peaceful.

    ReplyDelete