“What we call little things are merely the causes of great things; they are the beginning, the embryo, and it is the point of departure which, generally speaking, decides the whole future of an existence.” (Henri Frederic Amiel)
Tuesday, November 27, 2012
Laura in Blue
This is the second of my two-painting portrait-painting endeavor. It was after this one that I realized I didn't want to paint portraits. However, as I explained in my last post, I do wish that I could do portraits without having to put in the necessary years (decades?) of practice. I don't think there's anything more difficult than portraits, artistically speaking. Not only is the human face immensely challenging to capture in paint as a general matter, but to accurately portray a particular human face requires a perfect mastery of the tiniest nuances. If any detail is off, someone who knows the subject will perceive it and find the likeness lacking. That said, I think that this portrait looks a bit like its subject, my friend Laura. (No. 22, 6x6", on Gessobord, Sept. 14, 2012).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment