“What we call little things are merely the causes of great things; they are the beginning, the embryo, and it is the point of departure which, generally speaking, decides the whole future of an existence.” (Henri Frederic Amiel)
Wednesday, November 28, 2012
Sidewalk Artist
This is one of my favorites. It is of an artist selling her wares on Jackson Square in New Orleans. I have a fascination with depictions of scenes of artists and their work, and with art studios. Maybe it's the "meta" aspect of depicting art within art, although out of respect for the artists I never attempt to reproduce the actual art on display (I do an abstracted version). Or maybe it's just because there's something beautiful about an artist surrounded by his or her creative "offspring." It doesn't have to be a painting by me. On the same trip to New Orleans, I bought a small ink-wash painting from a sidewalk artist that depicted an artist working on a painting next to Jackson Square. Anyway, the things I like about this one are (1) the softness of it, i.e., the way the forms are defined by soft rather than hard edges, (2) the way that sunlight and shade are evoked, and (3) the mood: I see a woman who is relaxed, focused and contented in her solitude as she prepares for and awaits customers. (No. 23, 8x8", on Raymar panel, Sept. 15, 2012).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment