Saturday, November 10, 2012

Pumpkin and Tomatoes

I've been a bit lax about posting daily, but since I don't seem to have many onlookers, I'm going to forgive myself for that.  While my posts have been intermittent, I am still committed to doing daily paintings, although I missed a couple of days recently.  I am on painting #75 (I think) today, and I started on August 23.  If I had actually done a painting each day since then, I should have eighty paintings.  So I've missed five days.  That's not too bad; I'd thought I'd missed more than that.  Anyway, the subject of this post was painted from a photo taken at the Ann Arbor Farmer's Market in Michigan.  I have mixed feelings about this painting, which was done in early September.  On the one hand, I like the way it turned out -- the way light and color define the form of the pumpkin and tomatoes.  On the other hand, this was a VERY hard-fought pumpkin!  I must have painted it over twenty times at least.  At first I piled paint on top of paint, making it muddier and muddier.  Then I wiped it off and applied paint afresh.  I don't know how many times I wiped it off.  Anyway, I was despairing that it would ever look right, and doubting my abilities, when suddenly it sort of was okay.  A happy ending.  Another note:  I haven't been signing these babies, so I'm experimenting with a digital signature on this one.  It's done in Photoshop, using Bradley Hand font with the brushed metal effect. (No. 16, 6x6", on Gessobord, Sept. 8, 2012)

1 comment:

  1. Just checked in today to find the pumpkin & tomatoes. The light is so appealing -- it makes the tomatoes look like they're smiling at the pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete