“What we call little things are merely the causes of great things; they are the beginning, the embryo, and it is the point of departure which, generally speaking, decides the whole future of an existence.” (Henri Frederic Amiel)
Sunday, November 25, 2012
My Niece, Sort Of
This is supposed to be my niece, Cassie, but it does not look much like her. After completing it, I realized that to be a good portraitist, I would need to do a portrait a day for a long while. I did one the next day, but then realized that I actually have no interest in painting portraits. I would like to be able to do them if necessary, and I have tremendous respect for artists who have mastered portraiture, but at the end of the day, I get little thrill from painting faces, have a low boredom threshold for looking at portraits, and have no desire to have portraits (by me) hanging on the wall. Wouldn't it be funny if this changed someday and I ended up passionate about painting portraits? The lovely thing about life is that it could happen. In my younger, quasi-abstract expressionist, pen-and-ink/woodcut/etching days, I would have scoffed if you had told me I'd one day be devoted to painting in oils, particularly landscapes. (No. 21, 8x8", on Raymar panel, Sept. 13, 2012).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment