Sunday, March 3, 2013

Cloudy Day at the Beach

In the summertime, it almost doesn't matter what the weather is like --- people will still flock to the beach.  I took a photo of Stewart Beach on an overcast day with a huge thunderhead not far offshore, and there was a good little crowd still hanging around.  I don't like this painting of it because I was trying to paint small things with detail, and it just can't be done without looking hackneyed (by me anyway, in the time I allotted myself).  I do kind of like the pickup truck in the foreground, but the school bus and other things on the beach look like scattered toys.  It would have been better to either pick a close-up subject or leave out the detail.  Also, the sea is not sufficiently distinguishable from the sky.  Not one of my favorites.  (No. 59, 6x6", on Gessobord, Oct. 23, 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment