“What we call little things are merely the causes of great things; they are the beginning, the embryo, and it is the point of departure which, generally speaking, decides the whole future of an existence.” (Henri Frederic Amiel)
Sunday, March 17, 2013
Farmer's Market, Ann Arbor
This turned out nothing like what I had intended. It is also nothing like my usual efforts. It has more of a "primitive" feel than I had planned, and the low contrast is the opposite of what I usually aim for. And yet I love it. I don't know if it's the arrangement of shapes or the arrangement of colors, or both. But it sneaks up on me every time I look at it. To me, there's a pleasing rightness, or completeness, or harmony to it, that is not really explained by its component parts. I will say that this is one that I fought with, and won. (Usually when I fight with a painting I lose badly.) It was a slow process. I did not go quickly through those watermelons or crates. I struggled a lot with the salesperson (in real life this was a woman, but in my painting the figure is rather androgynous, so I'll let the viewer decide). I struggled with the ground and with the people in the background. At the end, I was disappointed because I thought the hours I put into it had been wasted. But then I took another look, taking off my critical "eye," and found it pleasing. I'm not sure I could part with this one. My heart is in it. The photo was taken at the Ann Arbor Farmer's Market when I was last there -- one of my favorite places in the world. (No. 64, 8x8", on Raymar panel, Oct. 28, 2012)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment