Saturday, March 16, 2013

Side Yard at Gran and Granda's House

My grandparents lived on a semi-rural multi-acre tract that, to my eyes as a child, seemed to go on forever.  In this photo, the house is to the left.  We are looking down the drive that extended (from the left) through the side yard to a road that was dirt when I was little but was paved by the time of this photo.  Through the trees across the road you can see what I believe may be the "gun shop," a mysterious place that we were not allowed to approach.  Or it might be a more recent structure.  I have many good memories associated with that side road, because in those innocent days, back in the 60s, we children were free to wander along it and explore to our heart's content.  I like this painting because it captures a feeling of intense but soft light, and a feeling of peacefulness and quietude that I associate with this place.  This is from a photo in 2003.  Today, the pines (which covered the whole tract) are gone and the house is no longer in the family.  (No. 63, 6x8", on Raymar panel, Oct. 27, 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment