Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Daily Painting Revisited

When I finished my 100th painting in mid-December and decided to take a break, I didn't realize that the break would extend into March!  I just couldn't motivate myself to get back into the painting-a-day mindset.  For 100 days out of 116 straight days, I had spent at least two days in the studio painting, and sometimes up to six hours.  That is in addition to a full-time job and finding time to eat.  Sometimes this meant that I headed out to the studio at 9 p.m. to start a painting, already tired after a long day.  And it meant looking with frustration at undone housework and other tasks postponed day after day.  I would absolutely love to do a painting-a-day program again if my work demands change, but for now, I am revising my understanding of "Daily Painting."  Instead of finishing a painting each day, it will now mean trying to do some painting every day --- even if it's only 15 minutes --- but not trying to finish a whole one each day.  The positive side of this, apart from more sanity and more time to do other things, is that I can work on larger or more complex projects.  For example, the photo above shows a drawing on canvas for an 18" square painting.  I have worked on this drawing, off and on, for several months.  (The drawing is actually painted with a brush, using burnt umber paint.)  Here is another painting I recently started --- it's 12"x12", and I have had three painting sessions with it so far:
Although I miss the ability to soften the borders of adjacent colors, which you can do when all the paint on the surface is wet, it is a bit of a luxury to be able to let things dry a bit between painting sessions.  Note: I'll be continuing to post the daily paintings from last year; the next one will be #65.  But I may also throw in the occasional progress post related to these paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment