“What we call little things are merely the causes of great things; they are the beginning, the embryo, and it is the point of departure which, generally speaking, decides the whole future of an existence.” (Henri Frederic Amiel)
Wednesday, March 6, 2013
Gran and Me
As the title suggests, this is from a photo of me as a little girl, with my grandmother. It seems like I'm always saying I have mixed feelings about my paintings, but I often do, and this is no exception. I love how my grandmother appears in this painting. That part I regard as successful. I dislike the rest. The little girl seems kind of fake, like a doll, and does not seem to be in the same plane (or planet) as the grandmother. The background is kind of blah, but that wouldn't bother me if I liked both of the figures. The composition is also awkward with both figures cut off above the ankle. Oh well. I have some favorites coming up, we're just not there yet! (No. 60, 6x8", on Raymar panel, Oct. 24, 2012)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment