“What we call little things are merely the causes of great things; they are the beginning, the embryo, and it is the point of departure which, generally speaking, decides the whole future of an existence.” (Henri Frederic Amiel)
Sunday, March 10, 2013
Desert Serenade / Compare & Contrast #3
I love this one! I like it visually, but I also like it because it provides a perfect opportunity for a compare-and-contrast. Contrast #62 above with daily painting #10 below, which was painted from the same photo:
I think it's pretty clear that #62 is better. For one thing, #62 has all the colors growing lighter and less saturated in the distance, showing the gradual progression from near to far, whereas #10 has intense and dark colors in both the foreground and the background, which hampers a sense of distance. The green foliage in #10 is clumsier and less realistic. The red-dirt foreground in #62 is more interesting and realistic-looking. In addition, the colors in #62 are more varied, softer, and (dare I say) prettier than those in #10. Although I rarely paint from the same photo twice (and did not realize I was doing so here), this provided a really good benchmark of the progress made from #10 through #62. (No. 62, 8x8", on Raymar panel, Oct. 26, 2012)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment