“What we call little things are merely the causes of great things; they are the beginning, the embryo, and it is the point of departure which, generally speaking, decides the whole future of an existence.” (Henri Frederic Amiel)
Thursday, February 28, 2013
On the Pier
This is yet another painting that I have mixed feelings about. Overall, I dislike it, partly because it did not live up to my hopes and expectations, and partly because it has serious flaws. On the other hand, I can pick out some things I really like about it. I love the play of light on the clothing of the man and the boy, and the subjects' natural poses and postures. I love the "triangle" composition with the three figures. I like the sense of immediacy, of catching a "moment." I like the soft colors. But I don't like the water, which looks like blue paint was applied slapdash, and I don't like the unfinished, sketchy fence boards. The reason those parts seem incomplete is that they are incomplete. This painting took a lot longer than I had planned, because I struggled with the figures, and I just ran out of time to do justice to the ocean and fence. Since I was doing a daily painting regime, I went on the next day to other paintings and didn't spend the time to work this one further. Even though this painting didn't live up to my hopes, I like to think that someone who enjoys fishing would appreciate the "bonding" moment it depicts. (No. 58, 6x6", on Gessobord, Oct. 22, 2012)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment