“What we call little things are merely the causes of great things; they are the beginning, the embryo, and it is the point of departure which, generally speaking, decides the whole future of an existence.” (Henri Frederic Amiel)
Wednesday, February 6, 2013
Lemons for Sale
I'm fascinated by dazzling displays of colorful fruits and vegetables in a market, especially a farmer's market. I am very much drawn to painting such scenes, but they are extremely challenging, and I have avoided trying them in a daily painting except for this pared-down snippet. I have mixed feelings about this one. I like it technically -- I like the chalkboard, the appearance of the lemons, the light on the tops of the wooden compartments. But there's something about the color that I'm not satisfied with, and I haven't been able to figure out what it is. Maybe if I keep painting I will one day look at it and understand! A note: I tend to think that complex, colorful market scenes are best suited to the precision and delicacy of watercolor, but I have seen some stunning oil paintings of this subject matter that prove me wrong. Here's an artist who does it brilliantly. (No. 53, 6x6", on Gessobord, Oct. 17, 2012)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment