“What we call little things are merely the causes of great things; they are the beginning, the embryo, and it is the point of departure which, generally speaking, decides the whole future of an existence.” (Henri Frederic Amiel)
Thursday, January 31, 2013
Conquistador
This is from an old photo of my brother standing in a dug-out hole on the beach and kicking up sand and water from it. But it's more than that --- it's an archetypal little boy! Who hasn't seen a little boy doing this, with glee and abandon? I don't remember the actual event because I was too little when the photo was taken, but I remember other, later times when a similar scene was accompanied by me screaming as my brother destroyed my painstaking efforts at a sand castle. That's okay, bro, all is forgiven. :) Anyway, what's interesting about this to me is that it's a departure from any of the prior daily paintings, in its use of muted, pale, pastel colors instead of bright, contrasty colors. For some reason I haven't often revisited this color scheme, though I'd like to. I love the effect of it here because it lends a dreamlike, timeless quality that seems to fit the archetypal image of the eternal boy. (No. 51, 6x8", on Raymar panel, Oct. 15, 2012)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment