I've been postponing posting this one because I really dislike it. There are a handful of daily paintings that I feel this way about, not just because I find them unappealing visually and they fall short of just about every measure of artistic value that I go by, but because they're a constant reminder that I messed up. That's the thing about this process, at least the way I'm doing it --- you put each day's effort up on the wall so you can see your progress and revel in your successes, but it also means you're continually reminded of where you failed. Which isn't such a bad thing, I guess, from a learning perspective. Here's how my wall looked after I reached #50:
You can see the trombone kid on the lower left of the lowest shelf on the right. Anyway, this was from a photo I took in New Orleans of a man and a woman playing music under a portable awning. I thought this kid was cute with his kid-sized trombone. But he and the woman look flat, clumsy and unrealistic; the colors do not work; the composition does not work, etc. (No. 46, 6x6", on Gessobord, Oct. 10, 2012)


No comments:
Post a Comment