“What we call little things are merely the causes of great things; they are the beginning, the embryo, and it is the point of departure which, generally speaking, decides the whole future of an existence.” (Henri Frederic Amiel)
Sunday, January 27, 2013
ELISSA Gear on Deck
One of the most beautiful things I know of is the tall ship ELISSA, but she can be very difficult to paint with her seven miles of running and standing rigging! Some artists might fudge on the rigging and leave stuff out, but I can't because (1) I'm too detail-oriented, (2) I'm a former volunteer crew member who can't bear to leave out lines I know should be there, and (3) I'm married to an historic ship rigger, who has been known to look over my shoulder and point out that various lines are missing or in an incorrect location or configuration. :) To avoid these issues, and increase the odds of finishing within one day, I sometimes will try to paint isolated parts of ELISSA --- here, some blocks and lines. I think this painting took me about 6 hours anyway. (No. 50, 8x8", on Raymar panel, Oct. 14, 2012)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment