Saturday, July 6, 2013

Painting in Progress

This is kind of fun!  I started a painting recently, of an egret in the marshes on the Texas Gulf Coast with Texas City refineries in the background, and I've been taking photos of the painting as I go along.  (This is not a small painting like the daily paintings; it's 24x36").  I've posted the photos below, starting with the earliest state.  In the first state, below, I have painted the whole canvas with a wash of orange paint, painted the basic drawing with burnt umber, and added some whites and light blues:
 In the one below, I have added the darkest darks and some greens:
The state below shows the buildings at the top filled in, and I have started putting in the blues for the water.  You can see that the tower on the right at the top is listing; I tried to fix that later when I put the sky in.
 Here I have put in the water.  I'm not happy with the water and will probably paint over it.  Water is difficult and I have not mastered it!
Finally, the most recent state (below). The only real difference is that I've painted in the sky, but what a difference a sky makes!  Most of the remaining unpainted areas will be warm colors: rusts and oranges and golds.

No comments:

Post a Comment