Sunday, July 14, 2013

Downtown Candy Shop

I love the historic storefronts in Galveston with their beautiful architecture and colors.  I am really drawn to painting them despite the frustration of trying to capture all the details.  It's hard to believe that this one, with its detail, was a daily painting done in a few hours, and in truth I think that I finished up some of the details the following day.  This one's sort of midway between the careful lines of the Star Drug Store painting and the kind of loose, impressionistic approach I'd like to learn.  It appears that the less time I have, the closer I get to the goal of a looser painting.  But without the enforced restriction of having to finish in one evening, it's hard to resist the lure of laboring over details. Perhaps timed paintings would be an interesting exercise. (No. 75, 8x8", on Gessobord, Nov. 10, 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment