“What we call little things are merely the causes of great things; they are the beginning, the embryo, and it is the point of departure which, generally speaking, decides the whole future of an existence.” (Henri Frederic Amiel)
Sunday, July 14, 2013
Egret With Refineries - Final
I'm declaring this one "done," but two questions remain. First, is it really done? Can I say with absolute certainty that I won't tinker with it any more? No --- and that probably means that I will. But that will be sometime in the future when I figure out what is nagging at me that would require tinkering. In the meantime, it is done. The other question is: how do people come up with good titles for paintings? "Egret With Refineries" may be descriptive, but it's not very evocative or creative. And if I do more paintings of egrets with refineries, I would have to come up with something new, or else use "Egret With Refineries 2." Most of my "titles" are prosaic descriptions like this. I think the reason is that I'm just not interested in naming them. I think there are artists to whom the name of a piece is an integral part of it. Though I'm not currently one of them, I admire artists who give beautiful names to their artwork.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment