Sunday, December 29, 2013

Fourth Stage: Monterey Sailboat

I have ignored this painting for several weeks, and just got back to it today.  I'm a little chagrined to see that the third stage I posted on this blog arguably looks better than this version.  It's an illusion, I'm pretty sure, created by my camera's inability to capture colors accurately.  The last image looked better than reality, and this image (I think/hope) doesn't look as good as reality.  The main thing I have been doing is lightening the sail of the sailboat and some of the vessels in the background, and adding more depth to the water.  The next thing I think I need to tackle is to vary the dominant blue in the upper one-third of the painting.  The painting is too monochromatic for my taste right now.  Today's music to paint by: "O Brother Where Art Thou" soundtrack, and Joan Baez Vols. 1 and 2.

1 comment:

  1. I love this painting - it reminds me of learning how to sail in my youth. Is this painting for sale? Where is your gallery located or what galleries show your work.
    Thanks,

    Sailor from the Pacific

    ReplyDelete