“What we call little things are merely the causes of great things; they are the beginning, the embryo, and it is the point of departure which, generally speaking, decides the whole future of an existence.” (Henri Frederic Amiel)
Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Girl in Blue Coat
The girl in blue coat is me as a little girl, based on an old photo. With this painting (number 88 of 100), the daily paintings seem to have risen to a new level of confidence in color and brushstroke. Seeing this, I regret not continuing the project, but there just hasn't been time. I really believe there's no way to achieve this kind of progress the way I'm doing it now, i.e., working on a large painting an hour or two one or two days a week. I'm learning some stuff that way, but not at the speed and at the depth I was learning by daily painting. On another note, this is one of only two daily paintings that I have parted with --- both this one and the next one are in the hands of my aunt and one of her daughters, my cousin. I have difficulty parting with any of the daily paintings because, to me, they are like a whole single piece, and they inspire me so much. Fortunately, I have giclees of the two that I have given away! (No. 88, 6x6", on Gessobord, Nov. 28, 2012)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment