Sunday, December 29, 2013

View From the Breakfast Room

Well, that was a long blog hiatus, due to the holidays and other things, and my readership has dropped from an average of about 2 views a day to .25!  I will try to get things rolling again with this painting, which, like the previous one, is one of only a few that I have parted with (one of my cousins has the original).  When I was little, my family and my mother's siblings' families used to converge at least once a year at my grandparents' house in Alabama.  The breakfast room was the "nerve center" of the house -- a place where people (family and visitors if there were any) constantly gathered to have coffee, eat goodies, and talk.  The breakfast room had a huge window that looked out onto the connected garage (on the left, with an opened window) and my grandmother's bird feeder, which we all kept an eye on as we socialized.  A couple of years ago, by some fortuity, I found a photo taken through the breakfast room window, and used it to compose this painting.  In the photo there was a big old car parked on the right-hand side, but I thought it could be dispensed with.  Another daily painting, #63, posted on March 16, 2013, shows a view past the side of the house.  (No. 89, 6x6", on Gessobord, Nov. 29, 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment