“What we call little things are merely the causes of great things; they are the beginning, the embryo, and it is the point of departure which, generally speaking, decides the whole future of an existence.” (Henri Frederic Amiel)
Monday, May 27, 2013
Star Drug Store -- Early Stage
This painting has been plodding slowly along since March. As part of the plan to try to paint daily as opposed to finishing a painting daily, I have been trying to get into the studio as often as possible to add to it. Sometimes it's only for 30 minutes, sometimes longer, depending on available time and energy. I'm liking how it's shaping up, though it's not exactly the kind of painting I want to focus on. I want to learn to work primarily wet-in-wet, because you're forced to work a little looser and less fussily, and it's quicker. Almost all the daily paintings were wet-in-wet, except on a few occasions when I went back and tried to improve on a finished painting. But this approach is fun too, and certainly allows for a level of detail that's difficult to achieve with a quick or wet-in-wet approach. The drawing that I started with (drawn with sepia paint on a pthalo blue background), is in the March 20, 2013 post.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am curious how you're progressing on the tar drugstore painting. I like it very much so far and am eager to see you complete it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your talent and your journey as an artist.