“What we call little things are merely the causes of great things; they are the beginning, the embryo, and it is the point of departure which, generally speaking, decides the whole future of an existence.” (Henri Frederic Amiel)
Monday, May 6, 2013
Heading East on I-10
When you're crossing Texas heading east on I-10, there comes a point when the road starts to settle lower into undulating hills, and the sparse vegetation of West Texas gives way to a beautiful green. This was my first (and, I hope, not last) attempt to capture that experience. My favorite thing about this painting is the truck lumbering up the opposite lane. I like how its essential truckness is conveyed with a few simple marks. I've always felt that adding human-scale elements to a landscape is tricky because of the risk that they'll look out-of-place or demand too much attention, but this truck looks okay to me, probably because it is soft-edged and small enough to sort of melt into the surrounding shapes. (No. 69, 6x6", on Gessobord, Nov. 3, 2012)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment