Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Stretch and Reflections

Stretch is the name of a cat who resides at the San Francisco Maritime Museum.  Stretch keeps an eye out for mice and rats, and is even featured in SFMM publications!  This painting is based on a photo that my husband took.  At the time this was done, it was the most successful painting I'd ever done of a cat, and is further proof of the difference that daily painting practice makes.  The background in the original photo was fairly nondescript so I abstracted it a bit and enhanced the colors to give a blue backdrop to Stretch's lovely orange fur.  The "reflections" referred to in the title of this post are not in the picture, but in my mind.  I hate to admit it, but even my modified plan of spending SOME time in the studio every day has not panned out. There always seems to be too much to do.  However, although oil painting has been neglected, I am taking watercolor classes and have been producing some watercolor paintings.  If I don't get back to oils soon, I may start posting the watercolor paintings here to keep the blog going until things are really "daily" again.  That will no doubt inspire some musings about the differences between painting in oil and in watercolor. (No. 70, 6x6", on Gessobord, Nov. 4, 2012) (This painting, #70, is posted slightly out of order because I somehow failed to photograph #69 when I catalogued the rest of them!  I will post #69 when I have a good picture of it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment