Saturday, October 26, 2013

Breakthrough!

This is the final version of the semi-pointillist seagull scene that was the subject of my last post --- and somehow it came out looking impressionistic!  It glows with light, which is what most impressed me about the impressionist paintings I've seen in real life.  I think it's the result of so many harmonizing colors painted under and around each other --- the juxtaposition of all these colors brings each color to life in a way that a flat expanse of paint cannot.  Here are some close-up examples of the juxtapositions, showing different shades of blue, green and/or purple mixed together:


I'm excited because this technique could be a doorway to a whole new approach --- not just more paintings in this style, but perhaps a looser, more impressionistic style with longer brushstrokes.  I'd like to try a maritime scene using this technique and see how it turns out.

1 comment: