“What we call little things are merely the causes of great things; they are the beginning, the embryo, and it is the point of departure which, generally speaking, decides the whole future of an existence.” (Henri Frederic Amiel)
Saturday, June 22, 2013
Roadside Blues
Another painting based on images from our trip across the West a couple of years ago. I have mixed feelings about it -- I like it, but it did not live up to my expectations. Looking at it now with the advantage of hindsight, I think it would be helped as a composition by making the darks a bit darker in the mid ground and by increasing the intensity and darkness of the foreground. On the other hand, I think the predominance of mid-range hues and greyed colors gives it a hazy quality that is sort of calming and evocative. So I wouldn't mess with it, but I might do it differently next time. (No. 73, 6x6", on Gessobord, Nov. 8, 2012)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment