“What we call little things are merely the causes of great things; they are the beginning, the embryo, and it is the point of departure which, generally speaking, decides the whole future of an existence.” (Henri Frederic Amiel)
Wednesday, October 24, 2012
Cloudy Landscape
At last, something that turned out pretty well. In comparison to the first three daily paintings, I took more time and care to plan and execute this one. As a result, it has lost some of the looseness of the earlier ones, but it has acquired better composition, more detail, and some nice clouds. The only major problem I have with this painting is the bright light blue lake. It looks incongruous, because we know intuitively that on a cloudy, overcast day, the water is not going to look like that. It’s going to reflect the grayness of the sky to some degree. Eventually I plan to go back and paint the lake a dull grey or at least a darker blue. Notwithstanding the lake, this is my favorite daily painting so far. A note: this painting is based very loosely on a photo I took in Oaxaca, Mexico, in 1984. I think the photo was taken from Monte Alban. In the actual photo, there was no lake; instead, there were clouds and mists in the valley in the distance. Eventually, I would like to do another painting that attempts to capture the soft, hazy quality of the light and color in this mountainous area. (Daily Painting No. 4, 6x8", on Raymar panel, Aug. 26, 2012)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment