Wednesday, July 16, 2014

ELISSA's small boats

These small wooden boats tied up near ELISSA have a lot of charm, particularly in certain light "moods" in the early and late part of the day.  I have recently painted this in a larger (16x16") version.  This painting was interesting because it debuted a sort of stippled, impressionistic approach to painting water.  In my view, painting water is not something that comes naturally; there are tricks and techniques that convey water, but you have to either stumble on them or find them in an instructional book (rare) or see them in someone else's work.  The beauty of the daily painting project is that it allowed (required) on-going experimentation.  I do remember that this painting definitely involved experimentation -- I was not sure that what I was doing would work.  (No. 99, 8x8", on Raymar art panel, Dec. 16, 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment