“What we call little things are merely the causes of great things; they are the beginning, the embryo, and it is the point of departure which, generally speaking, decides the whole future of an existence.” (Henri Frederic Amiel)
Sunday, April 20, 2014
Riverfront Market Day in Selma, Alabama
Wow, it's been a while since I've posted! I have been painting, though have not returned to daily paintings. I'm finishing up six 16x16" paintings that I started in January. This post is a painting of Charlie Lucas ("the Tin Man"), an artist in Selma, Alabama. This is from a photo I took of him at an art fair there. I started working on this painting before I realized it presented a conundrum: how could I paint his artwork in the background without plagiarizing it? If I copied it exactly, I could infringe on his copyright, but if didn't copy it exactly, I would be misportraying his art. I settled for making the artwork blurry and vague and not very close to his actual work. I would like for the focus to be on the portrait anyway. (No. 95, 8x8", on Raymar art panel, Dec. 8, 2012).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment